Passports > First Time
ALL first-time applicants for the Machine Readable Passport (MRP) must appear in person at the designated Immigration Office.
The Machine Readable Passport will be valid for a period of five (5) years
All applicants for passports MUST :
- Complete the prescribed application form
- Collate all the supporting documents for their application THEN
- Make an appointment at the Trinidad and Tobago High Commission, by calling 0207 201 9661/2/3/5
NB: Colour photocopies of all documents must accompany originals. Any document not recorded in English must be accompanied by an OFFICIAL translation in English.
MINORS (under 16 years of age)
In all cases of children under the age of 16 years the ‘applicant’ referred to herein, is the responsible parent or the legal guardian.
ADULTS (persons 16 years & over)
The written authority of the responsible parent or legal guardian is required for applicants under the age of 18 years.
NOTE: The interviewing officer may request information to his/her satisfaction from the person presenting an application for persons 18 yrs and under, so as to determine who the responsible parent is, in an attempt to ensure that the person before him/her is the appropriate applicant.
1) Complete an Application Form
a) Complete Passport Application Form (Children) – for minors UNDER 16 years of age
b) Complete Passport Application Form (Adult) – for applicants 16 years and over
Passport Application forms can be obtained from the Trinidad and Tobago High Commission, London’s Passport Section, or downloaded here.
2) Supporting Documents
First time applicants must submit the following documents along with your completed application form on the day of your pre-booked appointment.
a) Proof of your Trinidad & Tobago Citizenship
i) Nationals born in Trinidad and Tobago
If you were born in Trinidad and Tobago, you must provide the following ORIGINAL documents as evidence of citizenship:
- Electronic Birth Certificate – Computer generated with pin number,
- Trinidad and Tobago Identification Card,
- Affidavit(s), Statutory Declaration(s), Deed Poll(s) or Change of Name Deed(s) where applicable,
- If you acquired citizenship of another country, you must produce the citizenship certificate of that country. The date of acquisition and how acquired must be clearly stated,
- Restoration of Trinidad and Tobago Citizenship Certificate (if necessary),
- Female applicants who are married MUST submit their computer generated Marriage Certificate(s). If married more than once, all original certificates including Decree Absolutes, spouse’s Death Certificate MUST be produced.
ii) Citizens born outside of Trinidad and Tobago
Persons who are citizens of Trinidad and Tobago other than by birth are required to submit original documents as outlined in section 2 (a) as well as the original documents for the specific category of citizenship listed hereunder:
- Descent – Birth Certificate of Birth Record with parents’ names. Proof of parents’ Trinidad and Tobago citizenship (their Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates and Passports), Trinidad and Tobago citizenship certificates.
- Registration – Certificate of Registration, Birth Certificate,
- Naturalization – Certificate of Naturalization, Birth Certificate,
- Re-acquisition - Certificate of Re-acquisition, Birth Certificate,
- Adoption – Certificate of Adoption with PIN number and letter from Adoption Board. Birth Certificate where possible also.
Proof of Change of Name (where applicable)
- Affidavit(s) or Statutory Declaration(s),
- Marriage Certificate(s) and/or divorce documents,
- Duly registered Deed Poll(s), Change of Name Deed(s) or legal documents attesting to any change of name,
- Adoption Certificate,
- Certified Birth Certificate issued by the Trinidad and Tobago Registrar General’s Office or,
- Certified Birth Registration Certificate issued by a Trinidad and Tobago District Registrar’s office for minors under one (1) year of age.
Provide Proof of Identity (where applicable)
- Current, valid Trinidad and Tobago Identification Card,
- Trinidad and Tobago Passport,
- Valid Trinidad and Tobago Driver’s License.
NOTE: Mutilated, altered or damaged Passports and Identification Cards are not acceptable as Proof of Identity.
3) Declaration of Recommender (Sect. 4)
The requirement for this section (pg. 2 of the Application Form) is not applicable to MRP applications submitted to the Trinidad and Tobago High Commission.
4) Additional References (Sect. 7)
This section(pg. 3 of the Application Form), does not require the signatures of the referees. The two (2) references to be named must have known the applicant for no less than three years. They may be of any nationality and may be residing anywhere, not necessarily in the UK or in T&T. However, they must not be relatives of the applicant.
In all cases of applications for the first issue of a Machine Readable Passport, there will be live image capture of the applicant at the issuing office, i.e. the applicant is not required to bring photos with them.
Specifications for Image Capture:
- Photograph will capture a NEUTRAL expression of applicant.
- The subject must not be smiling and their mouth must be closed.
- Images must be captured showing applicant with eyes open and clearly visible; glasses are not acceptable in the photo.
- There should be no hair on forehead obscuring the eyes; full hairline and both ears displayed.
- ALL facial jewellery, ornaments and unnatural features e.g. fake moles must be removed for image capture
- ALL facial tattoos must be concealed for image capture.
- DO NOT wear a hat or headgear that obscures hair or hairline unless it is worn for religious reasons.
- DO NOT wear contact lenses as you would be kindly asked to remove them for your image capture.
FOR FIRST TIME OR RENEWAL OF MACHINE READABLE PASSPORT
A business 48-page passport can be issued in lieu of the 32-page passport upon request.
WHEN COLLECTING MACHINE READABLE PASSPORT, THE PREVIOUS PASSPORT MUST BE TENDERED FOR CANCELLATION. IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT THAT YOU "CHECK THE DETAILS" FOR CORRECTNESS AND IMMEDIATELY REPORT ANY DISCREPANCIES TO THE ISSUING OFFICE
APPLYING FOR THE MACHINE READABLE PASSPORT
The renewal of subsequent Machine Readable Passports may be done in person or by post at the Trinidad and Tobago High Commission, London for applicants 16 years and over.
Minors under the age of 16 years WILL be required to appear in person to facilitate the capture of a live image photo.
1) Complete an Application Form
yellow green line
The applicant MUST:
(i) Complete and sign an application form;
(ii) Provide a coloured copy of the bio-data page of the current Machine Readable Passport;
(iii) Submit evidence of any changes to bearer’s names or status that may have occurred subsequent to the issue of the current Machine Readable Passport.
2) Adult renewals by post require two (2) identical photos on a white background which must meet the ‘Photograph Specifications’ listed in the advisory hereunder.
3) Photograph Specifications – (pertains to renewal of MRP by Post)
To apply for the renewal of a Machine Readable Passport by post, two (2) identical photographs, which MUST meet the ‘Specifications for Image Capture’ outlined herein, are required.
- Only coloured photographs are acceptable.
- The background for the image must be pure white.
- The portrait size must be at least 41mm x 31mm.
- The image of the face in the portrait should take up 70% of the vertical dimension, showing a close-up of head and the top of the shoulders.
- The portrait must be taken with the subject’s head upright and looking directly at the camera; both edges of the face should be clearly visible.
- The portrait should be in sharp focus with no shadows or reflections on the face.
- A full front view of applicant’s face, with eyes open and without dark glasses (unless there is a physical disability), are to be taken. NB: Head-dress may be accepted only in keeping with religious customs or for medical reasons. In ALL cases, full facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead must be clearly visible.
- All facial jewellery (nose, eye rings etc.) MUST be removed.
- The portrait should be on high quality photographic paper with high resolution.
- DO NOT pin, staple or glue photographs to the application form.
- Photographs MUST have been taken within the last six (6) months.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ABOVE SPECIFICATIONS ARE IN KEEPING WITH THE INTERNATIONAL CIVIL AVIATION ORGANIZATION (ICAO) GUIDELINES. ANY PHOTOGRAPHS THAT DO NOT MEET THESE SPECIFICTIONS WILL BE REJECTED.
APPLYING FOR THE MACHINE READABLE PASSPORT
MINORS UNDER 16 YRS OF AGE
1) The ‘applicant’ for the issue of a passport to a minor MUST be the responsible parent or legal guardian.
- There is NO age restriction for obtaining a passport.
- Children OVER the age of five (5) years must sign the specimen signature.
The applicant MUST :
- Complete and sign the application form,
- Submit evidence of the child’s Trinidad and Tobago citizenship,
- Produce their Trinidad and Tobago Identification Card or Passport,
- Submit the most recently issued passport in which the child’s name appears, even if expired,
- Ensure that the name entered for the child on the application form is the name the applicant wishes to appear in the passport,
- Provide evidence of any change in the child’s name by submitting a Deed Poll or Change of Name Deed, NOT a Statutory Declaration,
- If the information on the application form differs from the information on the documentary evidence produced, the applicant may be required to submit a Sworn Declaration to clarify any differences.
2) Provide Proof of Custody of Minors in cases of Separated or Divorced Parents
The Parent of Guardian to whom custody of the minor child/children has been awarded, must produce evidence of the Court Order and any other relevant documentary evidence as may be required to support his/her claim. If the parents have joint custody, the other parent must submit a declaration giving consent for the application of the child’s passport.
NOTE: If the information on the application form differs from the information on the documentary evidence produced, you may be required to submit a sworn declaration to clarify any differences.
LOST, STOLEN, OR MUTILATED PASSPORTS
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED WITH APPLICATIONS:
1. Provide a Police Report from the Police Authority certifying the Loss or theft of the Passport
2. Complete a Notification Form for a Lost, Stolen or Mutilated Passport (also available online)
3. In cases of loss by fire, a certified report from the Fire Authorities must be submitted. In this case no police report is necessary
4. Provide one (1) recent passport photograph.
5. Provide all supporting documents as required for a new passport application (see above)
The fees for lost, stolen, or mutilated passports are only determined by Head Office in Port of Spain Trinidad after the documents have been reviewed.
Nationalities requiring Visas to enter Trinidad and Tobago
The following nationalities require visas for entry into Trinidad and Tobago
Sao Tome & Principe
Nationalities (NOT) requiring Visas to enter Trinidad and Tobago
Czech Republic *
El Salvador **
Slovak Republic *
St Vincent & the Grenadines
* Visa not required for visits up to 30 days
** Visa not required for entry on Vacation/Business for entry up to 90 days
Applications for Visa from Nationals of the following Second Schedule
Countries must be referred to Trinidad and Tobago
Nationals of China
North & South Vietnam
INSTRUCTIONS FOR VISAS FOR THE REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
Opening hours: 9:00am – 2:00pm
Please complete the Visa Application Form and return with the following:
1. Valid passport for the duration of stay in Trinidad and Tobago,
2. One (1) recent passport size photograph,
3. Fee of £18.00 (single entry) or £36.00 (multiple entries)– to be paid as follows:
Personal application – cash only
Postal application - British postal order; Cash; banker’s draft drawn on a UK bank; international money order drawn on a UK bank.
Postal charges – please add sterling equivalent of £6.00 UK residents and £8.00 Europeans
All cheques/orders should be made repayable to Trinidad and Tobago High Commission
4. If travelling on business, a letter from your company detailing the purpose of your visit, duration of stay, name of contact at company/organization you intend to visit,
5. Official confirmation of travel details and hotel booking in Trinidad and Tobago,
6. Letter of invitation,
7. Letter from applicant’s employer.
The Schengen Visa is issued by Embassies or Consulates of the following countries:
Greenland and the Faroe Islands
This visa allows the holder to move freely in all these countries within the validity of the visa.
However, please note that:
If you are not a resident of the UK or European Union, you should apply at the Embassy or Consulate of the Schengen state you wish to travel to in Trinidad and Tobago.
If you intend to visit only one Schengen country, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of that country.
If you intend to visit several Schengen countries, you must apply for a visa at the Embassy or country in which your main destination is situated.
If you intend to visit several countries without having a main destination, you should apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the Schengen country of your first port of entry.