His Excellency Anthony
The Hon. Kamla Persad-Bissessar,
The Hon. Winston Dookeran,
Minister of Foreign Affairs
His Excellency Garvin Nicholas,
High Commissioner Garvin Nicholas wins Diplomat of the Year from the Americas award
Garvin Nicholas has won the coveted Diplomat of the Year from the Americas Award in his role as High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
Message to the Nation from His Excellency Professor George Maxwell Richards, TC, CMT,
Ph.D., President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, at Christmas 2011
Citizens of Trinidad and Tobago
At Christmas, we celebrate the birth of a little child, Jesus, by name. Every child born into this
world, even without being conscious of it, has to trust parents or guardians for their protection
and general wellbeing. This necessity to trust continues, throughout childhood and takes on the
element of choice, as we grow.
In a climate of trust, we experience peace, which is the hope that we hold out when we extend to
others and others extend to us, Christmas greetings. Peace and goodwill to all men have become
words that are often heard during this season, but they convey sentiments that should become the
way of life, throughout the year, in every aspect of our interaction with one another.
If this is not so, we are missing the point of the Christmas message, by a long shot and we can
hardly rise to the level of our potential to be a caring and nurturing society.
We are offered the joy of Christmas. This goes beyond happiness, as happiness is dependent on
our current circumstances and what we perceive as our future prospects. But will we receive it?
Some of us will; many will not, because we have to come to that place where we decide to put
aside every circumstance that can prevent us from experiencing that peace that is spoken of so
much, at this time of year. This is a tall order, for tragedy has struck in many quarters, for many
of us and sadness is overwhelming.
In the Christian faith, in which Christmas is central, it is believed that a great Gift was given
to mankind at Christmas. If we can accept that, we may, regardless of religious persuasion or
even in the absence of it, consider pushing back against every kind of challenge that we face,
individually and collectively and make room for that Gift. We may well experience changed
perspectives which may even enable us to see beyond ourselves and climb out of our pits, as we
consider other possibilities. Those who are not so challenged might also make room and, if they
are willing, also resolve to see beyond self. Over time, we can develop trust, born out of tangible
evidence of human consideration. Then peace will flow.
My family joins me in wishing you joy and peace and true prosperity at Christmas and
throughout the New Year.
May God bless our Nation!
George Maxwell Richards
· NEWS PM: Govt working to eradicate poverty It is to Trinidad and Tobago’s credit that the human rights and fundamental freedoms enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) are...
· NEWS PM heads to Mandela’s funeral; Marlene to act Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has said Minister of Local Government Marlene Coudray will act as PM while she flies out today to…
There was a festive spirit in the air when His Excellency Garvin Nicholas hosted the final Nationals Meeting for the year at the Trinidad and Tobago High Commission, London on…
· NEWS Jamaica, T&T agree on trade, free movement Jamaica and T&T signed an agreement on Tuesday evening outlining the path to improving free trade and free movement arrangements between the two…
· NEWS Carmona: Strive for equal rights for disabled President Anthony Carmona has paid tribute to Barbados Senate President Kerryann Ifill, who is visually impaired, on the occasion of International Day of…
· NEWS Dookeran vows to fix T&T-Jamaica tension Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Dookeran yesterday said that he does not want any trade wars with Jamaica and assured that solutions will be found…
NEWS Dookeran in Jamaica for talks Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Dookeran is in Jamaica on a “packed two-day schedule”, meeting with Jamaican officials, chiefly his counterpart, to discuss the recent deportation of…
Trinidad and Tobago’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, His Excellency Garvin Nicholas made a call for nations to make the development of their people a priority, regardless of politics…
· NEWS PM: Govt is ready to fight the crime ‘beast’ Crime is a beast, and the Government is in a war to destroy that beast, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has said.…
· NEWS Caricom pressure for DR on citizen crisis Until the Dominican Republic changes its position of stripping people of Haitian descent born to undocumented immigrants of their citizenship, then Caricom will…
An Era of Caring Has Begun
A report of the major achievements of the People's Partnership Administration
Official Publication produced and published by T&T High Commission.