His Excellency Anthony
The Hon. Kamla Persad-Bissessar,
The Hon. Winston Dookeran,
Minister of Foreign Affairs
His Excellency Garvin Nicholas,
High Commissioner Garvin Nicholas wins Diplomat of the Year from the Americas award
Garvin Nicholas has won the coveted Diplomat of the Year from the Americas Award in his role as High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
Message to the Nation from His Excellency Professor George Maxwell Richards, TC, CMT,
Ph.D., President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, at Christmas 2011
Citizens of Trinidad and Tobago
At Christmas, we celebrate the birth of a little child, Jesus, by name. Every child born into this
world, even without being conscious of it, has to trust parents or guardians for their protection
and general wellbeing. This necessity to trust continues, throughout childhood and takes on the
element of choice, as we grow.
In a climate of trust, we experience peace, which is the hope that we hold out when we extend to
others and others extend to us, Christmas greetings. Peace and goodwill to all men have become
words that are often heard during this season, but they convey sentiments that should become the
way of life, throughout the year, in every aspect of our interaction with one another.
If this is not so, we are missing the point of the Christmas message, by a long shot and we can
hardly rise to the level of our potential to be a caring and nurturing society.
We are offered the joy of Christmas. This goes beyond happiness, as happiness is dependent on
our current circumstances and what we perceive as our future prospects. But will we receive it?
Some of us will; many will not, because we have to come to that place where we decide to put
aside every circumstance that can prevent us from experiencing that peace that is spoken of so
much, at this time of year. This is a tall order, for tragedy has struck in many quarters, for many
of us and sadness is overwhelming.
In the Christian faith, in which Christmas is central, it is believed that a great Gift was given
to mankind at Christmas. If we can accept that, we may, regardless of religious persuasion or
even in the absence of it, consider pushing back against every kind of challenge that we face,
individually and collectively and make room for that Gift. We may well experience changed
perspectives which may even enable us to see beyond ourselves and climb out of our pits, as we
consider other possibilities. Those who are not so challenged might also make room and, if they
are willing, also resolve to see beyond self. Over time, we can develop trust, born out of tangible
evidence of human consideration. Then peace will flow.
My family joins me in wishing you joy and peace and true prosperity at Christmas and
throughout the New Year.
May God bless our Nation!
George Maxwell Richards
· NEWS Minister: One of the most successful Carnivals ever Minister of The Arts and Multiculturalism, Lincoln Douglas, has hailed Carnival 2014 as “one of the most successful Carnivals we have had, if...
· NEWS Machel rules the road A new Cabinet portfolio has been permanently added to the Road March Hall of fame, with Machel Montano yesterday being announced as winner of the annual...
· NEWS $2.7M for 170 steelbands with no sponsors Some 170 steelbands that lack private sponsors will altogether receive State help of $2.7 million, said Minister of Arts and Multiculturalism, Dr Lincoln...
· NEWS Panyard trek for fans Thousands of pan music lovers walked through Port of Spain from band to band last Tuesday evening as judges paid visits to the various large conventional...
· NEWS Celebrating 50 years of TT/Japan friendship This year marks the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Trinidad and Tobago and Japan, as well as Japan-Caricom Friendship Year. Japanese Ambassador to...
Good Evening ladies and gentlemen, I am very pleased to welcome you all to the UK Pan Tuners Guild Awards presentation. I greatly value the opportunity to host you tonight and...
Good Evening Excellencies, fellow nationals of Trinidad and Tobago, ladies and gentlemen, Thank you all for being here today to celebrate the memory of an outstanding human being, Justice Squadron Leader...
· NEWS Naipaul House to become heritage site Trinidad and Tobago’s literary icon VS Naipaul, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature 2001, is renowned for the novel A House For...
· NEWS Follow Cross’ example There is the need for citizens of Trinidad and Tobago to emulate the sense of patriotism of late war veteran, Justice Ulric Cross. Garvin Nicholas, Trinidad and...
· NEWS Minister: $190m for Carnival 2014 A total of $190 million has been allocated to Carnival this year with $115 million representing money owed since 2010. Arts and Multiculturalism Minister Lincoln...
An Era of Caring Has Begun
A report of the major achievements of the People's Partnership Administration
Official Publication produced and published by T&T High Commission.
It came as a complete shock to His Excellency Garvin Nicholas when he was presented with a most thoughtful gift from the Pan Tuners Guild, made by veteran pan tuner...
Nationals of Trinidad and Tobago in the United Kingdom benefited from an intensive succession planning and asset management forum when they attended the Trinidad and Tobago High Commission’s Nationals Meeting...
There was a festive spirit in the air when His Excellency Garvin Nicholas hosted the final Nationals Meeting for the year at the Trinidad and Tobago High Commission, London on...